Week 14: Move Forward with Faith

Kumusta,
     The highlight of my week - It was 11:30 am and we began our work to visit some of our investigators at the coast of Malilipot very close with the running waters.  We needed to visit the Bilda family.  It been a week and we never visit them because to get there you have to cross the muddy water.  I remembered my young days back in Kiribati.  We used to cross to play on the mangrove trees by jumping one to each mangrove tree to make sure our feet didn't get by the sea water.  Crossing the muddy water was so challenging to us but I thought I am so curious to meet this family.  Immediately I jump on the rocks step by step on each rock to get to the other side just like I did on the mangrove trees as a child.  I make it to the other side so my companion followed what I had done.  Yay!!  Our shoes touch the water but it didn't get wet inside our shoes.

     As we get to this family, we share some important verses about prayer and we try to follow up with their commitment reviewing back their lessons.  In Alma 37:37 it say, "Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day."  We also shared Alma 37:16-17 "But if ye keep the commandments of God, and do with these things which are sacred according to that which the Lord doth command you, (for you must appeal unto the Lord for all things whatsoever ye must do with them) behold, no power of earth or hell can take them from you, for God is powerful to the fulfilling of all his words.  Verse 17:  "For he will fulfil all his promises which he shall make unto you, for he has fulfilled his promises which he has made unto our fathers."

     The family looks busy all the time and so we only teach two daughters.  The younger on is Judith who she's trying to take care of her small two young sisters and two brothers while mum and dad went to work.  The older one who is name Jennifer having a small baby boy was joining us in our teaching.  After the lesson, we hurried back before the water get high because it is started to rain.

     I just wanted to share my testimony and I am really inspired by Nephi.  His faith and love for the Savior is exemplified in his obedient to God commandments.  He pray (1 Nephi 1:16) "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers."

     He read the scriptures (1 Nephi 22:1) "And now it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had read these things which were engraven upon the plates of brass, my brethren came unto me and said unto me:  What meaneth these things which ye have read?  Behold, are they to be understood according to things which are spiritual, which shall come to pass according to the spirit and not the flesh?"

     Nephi sought and followed direction from a living prophet.  (1 Nephi 16: 23-24) "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow; wherefore, I did arm myself with a bow and an arrow, with a sling and with stones.  And I said unto my father:  Whither shall I go to obtain food?  Verse 24:  "And it came to pass that he did inquire of the Lord, for they had humbled themselves because of my words; for I did say many things unto them in the energy of my soul."

     Such obedience permitted the Holy Ghost to powerfully accompany Nephi throughout his life and yielding ongoing personal revelation.  We can stay close to the Lord by keeping God's commandments.  I testify that consistent obedience to small things such as reading the scriptures, praying daily, attending church meetings, heeding the counsel of living prophets, and serving others will qualify you for the spirit and revelation.  If we apply Nephi's example, you and I can reduce our fears and increase in confidence to move forwards.

     I testify that God lives and Jesus is the Christ.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint is a true church.  I testify that prophet Russel M Nelson is called by God receiving guidance and revelation from God.  Missionary work is Christ work and it is a true work.  I testify that the Book of Mormon is true and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Elder Bateiti

Here is a picture of the muddy water and stepping stones.

This is the Bilda family that I was so curious to meet.  I decided to cross while my companion refuse that they never cross because they were scared of the muddy river.  Thanks to God that we make it to cross without getting wet.

Mission statement outside a school nearby.  We pass by walking to the chapel.  This is after sacrament meeting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 96: Visit to the Island of Cadantuanes & Loving the Ocean Breeze

Week 117: Mission Life in Croatia

Week 54: Fed By the Spirit