Week 5: Out on the Streets of Manila

Kumusta,
     This week started out rough because I am not felling good right now.  I been sick from last Sunday but I have some medicines with me which I am trying to drink them.  I am not used to medicines but I am getting used to it.  I am getting better.  I have a sore throat and fever with coughing in the night.  It so disturbing my roommate.

     This week we had splits with Elders from the Manila mission.  It was so difficult for me to walk with many peoples and many traffic but it was a good experience.  I like seeing many people and it looks like they all have the same faces.  The people are so sweet and I was not used to the city like this.  I and my companion both walking to get the jeepney.  It is like a bus but small and you have to get on it from the back and it is like you have to sit facing the other passengers as well as they faced you.  It takes almost 45 minutes to get there and I was so nervous to get there.  But guess what, he talked to me and makes me feel comfortable.  It was funny because I just talk with him in tagalog language and he says my tagalog is good.

     Well!  When we get there, he knock at the door with a soft knocking and saying "Taopoo" which is meant ANYBODY HOME!  One old lady opens the door to us and greet us say Kumusta!  I understand some words like Plan of Salvation and faith.  It is pretty funny because in one phrase they speak, I can only understand 3 and 2 words from each phrase.  From all my new words that I studied, it helps me.  I am keep studying and I am not worrying about the language because I am getting to understand some.  It is started coming if I am accidentally thinking like a Filipino native.

     The funny thing is that as I introduce myself they say that I am from the Philippines.  But I tell the truth that I am from Kiribati and they understand it as I keep talking taglish (tagalog mixed with English) with them.  Well after I have introduce myself we open with a words of prayer.  The old lady has a young grandson with the age of 17 and the grandson looks excited to listen to us.  There is another uncle with the grandson.  We teaches three of them in their house.

     As we started, my companion takes all the talking.  He talks tagalog with them while I keep listening to what they trying to say and it really makes me happy that I know the spirit is with us.  The uncle of the young boy concerns about the prophet Joseph Smith.  I just say totoo which means true and I testified in tagalog which is ... Alam ko po na Joseph Smith sa propeto chosen from Diyos and I talk about the Book of Mormon how it changes my life.  Then we closed with a prayer.

     The uncle was so sweet that the time we arrived, he cooked for us a food.  I don't know what it is but I only know somethings inside it.  Rice mix with soup and egg that has been cleaned out of the shell.

     My scripture this week is 2 Nephi 9:23 "He commanded all men that they must repent and be baptized in His name, having perfect faith in the Holy One of Israel."  In this scripture, it briefly tells me my purpose as a missionary that I have to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel so that they can repent of their sins, put the name of Christ on them in baptizing them and received the gift of the Holy Ghost so they can endure to the end.

     I know that there is no other names that can help us but only Jesus Christ and I know that this church is true.  I testify that the prophet, Russell M. Nelson is the chosen on that get revelation from God.  I love the Book of Mormon.  It's God's words that talks about Jesus Christ and that how it changes my life.  I love missionary work and my families and friends.  I say this things in Jesus Christ name.  Amen

After the temple session with Elder Bateiti, Sister Tekeaki (from Kiribati) and my kasarma (companion) Elder Holland on the MTC campus - Leaving for the mission field next week

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 96: Visit to the Island of Cadantuanes & Loving the Ocean Breeze

Week 117: Mission Life in Croatia

Week 54: Fed By the Spirit